Laptop backup service
Aim: Description of Insync, Nikhef's laptop backup service for employees.
For Nikhef employees we have made available an easy-to-use laptop backup service called Insync. This backup service can be used from inside and outside Nikhef.
One of the great features of Insync is that the backup runs automatically in the background whenever the laptop is active.
It is strongly recommended that you create a dedicated folder/directory on your laptop where you store all your work-related files and that you only backup this work folder on the Nikhef Insync server. Be aware of the fact that the backup capacity on the server is limited to 100GB per employee.
Additionally to the on-line Insync backup, it is recommended to make weekly or monthly incremental backups of all files stored in your laptop on a direct-attached device like a USB disk.
To use this service you must be a Nikhef employee.
You can request a backup account by mailing email@example.com or using the selfservicedesk.
- Every user can use up to 100GB of storage space.
- You don't need to backup files from your home folder or project folders. These already have a backup in place.
- You can backup your data from almost any network connected to the internet.
- Insync performs an incremental backup. It will only send the changes since your last backup to the server.
- Insync keeps multiple versions of your active and deleted files.
- After closing the client, Insync will continue to run in the background and backup your changes.
- Download the client software for your Operating System.
- Install the client software following the instructions.
After the installation, select "On Premise" from the drop down menu. You need to fill in the following:
- Server URL:
- Email: Your Nikhef email address, please use the address to which the Helpdesk sent a conformation of your Insync account.
- Password: Your Nikhef passphrase
- Server URL:
Details of the service
- The backup server is located at Nikhef.
- The backup server is owned and maintained by Nikhef.
- Clients are available for Windows, macOS and Linux.